Mendi Group Purchases Quarry North of Townsville
The Mendi Group has acquired a third quarry to supply road base, concrete and asphalt aggregates, fill, decomposite granite and rock products to the construction industry in and around Townsville.
The CAMM North quarry adds to Mendi’s existing two quarry operations including Townsville Graded Sands, one of the largest suppliers of sand in the region, and CAMM Quarries at Roseneath which supplies high quality aggregates and road base materials.
Mendi Managing Director Jeffrey Doyle said that the newly acquired quarry would be ramping up production to supply raw materials on both the northern and southern approaches to Townsville.
“The purchase of the previously-named Wild Boar Quarry is a very strategic step for us and represents a significant local investment by the Mendi Group” said Mr Doyle.
“The new CAMM North quarry gives us a supply of raw materials on the northern side of Townsville, meaning our main operating location in the Bohle is now centrally located between the three quarry locations.”
“We’ve experienced a significant increase in demand for services over the past 12 months and the acquisition of this quarry will mean the recruitment of more local people, demonstrating our confidence in the North Queensland economy moving forward.”
“Our second quarry at Roseneath which opened in July 2018 and produces high-quality aggregates and road base materials, was developed by Mendi from a greenfield site and has already far exceeded production expectations. This is a positive sign for our business”.
“Over the past three months we’ve also made significant additions to our operating fleet including three dump trucks, two excavators, a loader and four prime movers to cater for road-train configurations with a carrying capability of 85 tonnes.”
- The Mendi Group is a second-generation family business that has been operating for more than 60 years and employs approximately 70 local people in Townsville.
- Mendi is a full-service, integrated civil construction business specialising in the delivery of civil construction and associated services such as bulk haulage, quarry products, sand and aggregate supply.
- Managing Director Jeffrey Doyle has been involved in civil construction, bulk haulage, contract crushing for more 30 years.
- The name CAMM Quarries is an acronym of the first letter of Jeffrey’s four children – Courtney, Ashleigh, Matthew and Mitchell.
- Mendi acquired Townsville Graded Sands Pty Ltd (located adjacent to Ross River Dam in Kelso) in 2013. This quarry produces aggregates (concrete, asphalt and cover), various sand products and unbound paving materials.
- In 2017 Mendi purchased a greenfield site at Roseneath (15km southwest of Townsville) and established CAMM Quarries which was operational from July 2018. The Roseneath quarry is a source of high-quality aggregates and road base materials.